All Middle School Topics » Structure and Properties of Matter / Chemical Reactions / Forces and Interactions / Energy / Waves and Electromagnetic Radiation / Structure and Function of Living Things / Organisms and Ecosystems / Relationships in Ecosystems / Reproduction and Growth of Organisms / Natural Selection and Adaptations / Space Systems / History of Earth / Earth’s Systems / Weather and Climate / Human Impacts
Middle SchoolWaves and Electromagnetic Radiation
This is a fun video about waves from FunScienceDemos on YouTube! Jared teaches us about sound and light waves using various models. Check out more of their videos at Youtube.com/funsciencedemos.
Wave Properties (PS4.A)
- A simple wave has a repeating pattern with a wavelength, frequency, & amplitude. (MS-PS4-1)
- A sound wave needs a medium through which it can be transmitted. (MS-PS4-2)
Electromagnetic Radiation (PS4.B)
- When light shines on an object, it is reflected, absorbed, or transmitted through the object, depending on the object’s material and the frequence of the light. (MS-PS4-2)
- Light travels in a straight line, except at the surfaces between different transparent materials (e.g. air, water, air, & glass) where the light path bends. (MS-PS4-2)
- A wave model of light is useful to explain brightness, color, and frequency-dependent bending of light at the surface of a media. (MS-PS4-2)
- Because light can travel through space, it cannot be a matter wave like sound or water waves.(MS-PS4-2)
- Digitized signals (sent as wave pulses) are a reliable way to encode & transmit information. (MS-PS4-3)
Next Generation Science Standards is a multi-state effort to create new education standards that are “rich in content and practice, arranged in a coherent manner across disciplines and grades to provide all students an internationally benchmarked science education.”
Our team from Temple University has developed this resource for all K-12 students and teachers of science. These vetted learning tools align to the NGSS. Find one we should include? Just fill out the form.