All Middle School Topics » Structure and Properties of Matter / Chemical Reactions / Forces and Interactions / Energy / Waves and Electromagnetic Radiation / Structure and Function of Living Things / Organisms and Ecosystems / Relationships in Ecosystems / Reproduction and Growth of Organisms / Natural Selection and Adaptations / Space Systems / History of Earth / Earth’s Systems / Weather and Climate / Human Impacts
middle schoolNatural Selection and Adaptations
In this interactive learning tool students learn about how mutations can affect a population. These little critters reproduce and mutate to be different colors. Depending on the color of the background various critters die off and students get to see how camouflage can help certain organisms survive.
Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity (MS-LS4.A)
- The collection of fossils & their placement in chronological order (by location in sedimentary rock layer or radioactive dating) is known as the fossil record. It documents the existence, diversity, extinction, and change of many life forms through the history of life on Earth. (MS-LS4-1)
- Comparing similarities and differences between organisms living today and those in the fossil record, enable the reconstruction of evolutionary history. (MS-LS4-2)
- Comparison of the embryological development of different species also reveals similarities that show relationships not evident in the fully formed adult. (MS-LS4-4)
Natural Selection (LS4.B)
- Natural selection leads to the predominance of certain traits and the suppression of others. (MS-LS4-4)
- Adaptation by natural selection acting over generations is one important process by which species change over time in response to changes in environmental conditions. (MS-LS4-6)
Next Generation Science Standards is a multi-state effort to create new education standards that are “rich in content and practice, arranged in a coherent manner across disciplines and grades to provide all students an internationally benchmarked science education.”
Our team from Temple University has developed this resource for all K-12 students and teachers of science. These vetted learning tools align to the NGSS. Find one we should include? Just fill out the form.